Bear
In need of a redesign since 2011.

Tuesday 25 November 2008

Meanwhile, back at the ranch

One of my youth leaders used to say that all the time. Whenever we'd gone a bit off-course or crazy, we'd be dragged back to this proverbial ranch in order to continue with the plan. So here I am, back with my family, on the Isle of Wight, hoping to get back on track.

Before I left Cardiff, Gavin and I were lucky enough to see Wales vs. New Zealand at the Millennium Stadium. I was very excitable, pointing everything out to G as if I'd never left my little island before. Sadly my camera's batteries died very early on so I only got two or three pictures, but here followeth an account.

We found our way through the crowds to the stadium, stopping to buy hotdogs and drinks on the way. When in Rome, as they say! After finding our seats without too much trouble, we sat down and waited for half an hour or so as I got increasingly excited by everything around me.

"Whoooaahhhh it's so BIG in here! It's like really big! Gav, look! There's a hole in the roof! Oooh look a brass band. Who do you reckon those men are? Oh my gosh listen to them sing, they're singing! It's so beautiful! Whooo!"

Gav: "You don't whoooo at a rugby match."

"Why not?"

"It's not the done thing. It's embarrassing."

"But I want to whoooo...."

The stadium got more and more filled up as we watched the All-Blacks warming up on the pitch. (The Welsh side having presumably gone for a pint.) Eventually the Welsh side put on a delightful little fashion show - posing in their red kit before changing into grey for reasons unbeknownst to me - and started warming up too.

Then, the BBC Sports personality of the year, Joe Calzaghe, walked out onto the pitch to frantic applause.

Gav (standing): "YEAHHHHH WHOOOOOO"

Me: *smug grin*

G: "Shut up."

Things began with national anthems, and shooting pillars of flame, and the All-Blacks doing their awesome warrior dance. Why don't any other teams have awesome dances? The English team could do Morris dancing. It would be ace.

The game itself was as thrilling as anything can be when you don't fully understand it. I don't know why the referee stops play 95% of the time, but that didn't stop me from gasping and cheering and applauding with everyone else when things got exciting. Wales were ahead at half time, as Gav and I got another hotdog each, but by the time we got back Wales had blown it.

To be fair, the better team won: they'd been neater, better organised, throughout. Still. I was very glad to have the opportunity to see that game.

Wales vs NZ rugby

I don't know what I'm going to be doing down here this week, but I'll keep you updated. I'm going out for a meal with ma famille now, so... I'll catch you later!

3 comments:

  1. I always preferred: "Meanwhile, back in Gotham City."

    But then, I would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first rugby match I was gasping at the sheer brutality of it... by the end, I was shouting and yelling and "Whooooo-ing"... I love it now! Just an FYI, if you want to be functional for the week after a rugby match, don't go to the pub with them afterwards... Ouch! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha Heather that sounds interesting... win or lose, it was bound to be a big night!

    ReplyDelete

Do you have relevant / irrelevant things to say? I thought so. Comment!