Bear
In need of a redesign since 2011.

Thursday 21 June 2012

Searching again

Everything has changed again.

How is it that I can feel as though I've done nothing, when in fact since my last post I've been illegally evicted, left Cardiff, moved in with my friend Dave and his parents, seen an opera about Nelson Mandela's life, written several poems, been dancing, filled out needlessly detailed job centre forms (it's just a change of address, for pete's sake) and several other things that escape me just at this moment?

It's always the same. As soon as I stop moving, it feels like I've accomplished nothing, been nowhere. I can only attribute this to a mercifully short emotional memory.

The job centre in Penarth is very different to the one I went to in Cardiff. Not that people weren't friendly in Cardiff, they were; but I asked three different people there on several occasions to take a look at my CV and let me know what they thought, and nobody did. The lady I'm talking to now, Jan, she seems golden. Actually offered to send an email on my behalf to a contact at a company that I'd be very excited to work with. So, we'll see, maybe I shouldn't give up just yet.

In truth, though, I'm starting to see that very few people get where they want to be by following the pre-ordained, tried and tested, government-sanctioned route. I've been hoping for some miracle dream that will tell me which direction to strike out in. Now's the time to do it, you know? Whether it's music or video-editing or writing or whateverthefuck, there's no better time than now to decide that I'm going to do it. Only... I can't decide what the thing is. What do I love enough to do every day?

I'm pretty sure I'm getting some of this from Ray Bradbury. He died on the 5th, 16 days ago, and it seems like he left behind enough pearls of wisdom to keep me thinking for a long while.

Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things.
I know you've heard it a thousand times before. But it's true - hard work pays off. If you want to be good, you have to practice, practice, practice. If you don't love something, then don't do it.
If you don't like what you're doing, then don't do it.

But then... he did also say "we've got too many Internets." So I don't know.


I keep winding up back here, wondering what to do with my life, and I'm sorry for that. It must get repetitive for you; I know it does for me! But in the meantime, I've got a book of poetry to finish, a short story to write, a script to hammer out and a lot of real life to fit in around that. Wish me luck.

P.S. I think Cardiff council have gone clean-wall-crazy; walls that I'd expect to be plastered in graf are bafflingly silent. Am making do with the occasional found tag, but there's a legal wall on the bus route between Penarth and Cardiff that's a splash of dynamic colour. I always stare at it until I'm taken out of sight. Hope to get some pictures for you (well, alright, mostly for me) soon!

king G
capndope

westy

3 comments:

  1. The graffiti-silence thing IS weird. I'd noticed it too. Even the footbridge to work (over the railway opposite the Atrium) has had many of the panels painted flat black. BUT NOT ALL OF THEM?
    It's just plain weird.
    (My best theory is that it's all because of the current public-face of the city what with upcoming Olympic events.)
    Also, I hope the "golden-woman" comes up with a great job for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crikey! I turn my back on this blog for five... er... months...
    Well I hope things go well for you on the jobbage front, and this miraculous woman of gold helps get your foot in a nice door.

    And how was the Mandela Trilogy? I wanted to see that, I bloody worked that shift and didn't get to be inside and see it, BOO! (they had me actually working, the cheek of it!)

    And rest in peace Ray and all that. Wise words. I think I need to tattoo that first one inside my eyeballs. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there lovely! Mandela Trilogy was good, a powerful story well told, and without any glossing over the flaws in his character. I adored the African-inspired music and the Swing music bits, but the more traditionally operatic parts left me dry. Someone said it was televised at some point recently so I'd imagine you could find it online perhaps?

    Thanks so much for coming by, it's always nice to see your username pop up :) x x

    ReplyDelete

Do you have relevant / irrelevant things to say? I thought so. Comment!