Bear
In need of a redesign since 2011.

Saturday 31 January 2009

Blank pages

It's a constant source of frustration to me that my idea-times and my blank-post-open times never quite seem to coincide. I try to keep a text document with which to share my inspirational nuggets, but once the ideas go in there, they have a nasty tendency to wither and die, once again forcing me to post a guilt update consisting mostly of links and pictures. (Not that there's anything wrong with links and pictures; it's just that you're unlikely to think to yourself, "My word, that was a well-written link. And those pictures! Why, that's the equivalent of 3,000 words! Truly, this is something I must share with all my friends and facebook friends.")

One of the reasons for this is that I only open up a blank post with which to fill with my genius at ridiculous 0'clock in the morning (which for the uninitiated is after bedtime o'clock, but long before maybe-this-counts-as-getting-up-early o'clock), a habit that tends to cause every original and creative brain cell in my skull to shrivel and whimper softly to themselves.

Part of it is that I'm just out of practise. I haven't been writing as much since I started struggling with uni work, favouring instead the relatively easy point and click of my beloved camera. I'm not saying that photography is easier than writing; merely that it's about a million times easier if you have no idea what you're doing. Which I don't.

On that note... I'm planning to go on a photography course, if I can get my butt in gear. And, with a similar butt-in-gear proviso, I also intend to take up dance classes. That is so unlike me... I've spent the vast majority of my life trying to avoid any and all forms of strenuous physical activity, possibly explaining why I haven't flunked out of Starfleet Academy (surely the best euphemism ever). Fnarr fnarr, etc. I don't know what kind of dance classes to take, but I confess to being intrigued by the possibility of pole-dancing lessons. I hear you've got to have great muscle tone, which I do not. I never succesfully managed to climb the rope in those dreaded PE lessons in middle school. Perhaps I'm setting my sights too high and should just chain myself to a treadmill until I'm thin?

Yes, that's another thing that's been on my mind lately... excess blubber. I can no longer dismiss it as Christmas weight, or hope that if I just ignore it it will go away. The temptation is not to mention it to you lovely people, so that nobody will notice if I fail to lose any of it, but maybe a bit of pressure is what I need. Besies, it's high time I took up some form of exercise.

Besides, what is 2009 if not a blank state? I should make of it what I will.

And with that metaphor I segue seamlessly back to my starting point. Did you see how I did that? Ohyeah. I'm good.

8 comments:

  1. I saw how you did that... slight of hand.

    AV
    http://netherregionoftheearthii.blogspot.com/
    http://tomusarcanum.blogspot.com/
    http://thingsthatfizz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Euphemism-wise, I always preferred "getting chocolate on your biscuit" as a euphemism for "joining the club" (see what I did there?). My love of 5ive also gives me a soft spot for having "slam dunked the funk".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah both amazing options, Dan! I miss my club theme tune mug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do amaze Anna! :o) Good luck on your endeavor of finding a physical activity to enjoy! My tip... make sure it is something you ENJOY otherwise you won't do it and won't succeed. It took me years to learn to like running, now I can't help it... but it did take years (YEARS) of persistence! Start with something you love (dancing is fun! Perhaps some saucy Latin dancing would suit you! But Pole Dancing is fun and you will eventually develop the muscle tone!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi freedom! Thanks for the comment! You're right, I really do need to find something I enjoy. Problem is, I don't know what I enjoy! Too many years avoiding sports have taken their toll, and I'm now terribly lazy.

    Ah well, time to kick it into gear... maybe one day I'll even be... *gulp*... a runner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gained 8 lbs. om Jan put I've been swimming and took 4 back off even with pizza and birthday cake today. My goal is to excercise every day cut out all white flour, and fruit huice and sugar and see how it goes.
    jw

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janesnotes, good for you! Self-discipline's never come easily to me but I think I'm shifting some of the weight, my face certainly looks thinner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey girl! I'm a new blogger and am trying to meet pple. Anyways I know what you mean concerning your hair...I have a hard time figuring out what to do w/ mine b/c its not all that thick and it dries how it wants to and i can try to give u some ideas at a later date when i have more time. ttyl

    ReplyDelete

Do you have relevant / irrelevant things to say? I thought so. Comment!