Bear
In need of a redesign since 2011.

Wednesday 1 February 2012

Niceness


My romantic entanglements have, for the most part, ended before the other party became aware of their existence. It always goes the same way: inevitably, at some point, whatever poor guy I've been... not pursuing, as such, more... ogling with wilful intent, will have the following conversation with me.

Him: Let me tell you about this amazing new girl I met!

Me: Shoot (me).

Him: She's so nice, she's such a free spirit, she has awesome hair and she hovers three inches above the ground wherever she walks! All that is best of dark and bright meet in her aspect and her eyes, blah blah fuckitty blah (I'm paraphrasing here.)

This usually results in the following dichotomy.

Externally:




Internally:



This was my life in high school, and this has been my life for the year and a half since breaking up with my ex. For the past few months, I've again been staring at some oblivious dude, attempting to work out whether he was even single. Over Christmas, the matter was brought to a satisfactory conclusion when it was revealed that not only was he unattached, but that the lucky girl he'd had his eyes on was, in fact, me.

In the words of President Obama, "I got the sucker."

That was nice.
It's still nice.

4 comments:

  1. Anna, its been a while. I saw your name came up on Linkedin, so I looked up your Blog.

    Well after reading this post, I am going to add in my two cents worth. Do you know much I would love to be single and age 24 all over again. These are your best days, enjoy them while you can. Who cares if you don`t have a boyfriend, you will find one soon enough.
    Think of all the fun things being single allows you to do. Go out whenever you want, you have no dependents, and lots of excessive cash to spend. I look back and remember playing hockey twice a week, golfing whenever I wanted, and we had this annual spring trout fishing trip to Vermont. Now all my old buddies are married and spread all over the globe. Sure we still get together for some golf, but it is a rare event.

    Ask anyone that has children, and they will tell you how great their single days were.
    Enjoy life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Excessive cash. Yeah, don't get me wrong, I know having children is a huge financial commitment, and one that I'm in no way ready to make, but the cash is far from plentiful for me right now.

    I'm still enjoying my independence, such as it is, and despite the impression I may have given, I wouldn't have chosen my new guy unless he was something really special.

    Thanks for dropping by, Pat, good to hear from you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That awesome moment when you discover your crush's crush is you. Whoo!

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Do you have relevant / irrelevant things to say? I thought so. Comment!